[ExI] Progress

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Mar 5 01:41:30 UTC 2013

I want to emphasize the importance of checking your vitamin D level. You
may be surprised.

I eat a diet much higher in fish and other good sources of D than average.
I also live in Arizona. (However, I have previously avoided significant
exposure to high-UV sunlight.)

In general, I would happily put my biomarkers up against those of anyone
else in their late 40s, but I was surprised and disturbed to find, in June
of 2012, that my vitamin D, 25-hydroxy levels were low: 16.6 ng/dL.
(Standard ranges suggest a healthy minimum of 30.) I'm not much of a
believer in supplements these days, but started supplementing with D, and
by December 2012 tripled my D levels. I'm also aiming to expose myself to
modest periods of sun, without sunblockers, when the UV index is at least 3
(the minimum for stimulating D production) but no more than 5. (That's a
short window here in Arizona during the spring and summer!).

This experience, together with the evidence I've seen, suggests that a very
large number of people (probably a majority) have excessively low D levels.
FYI, I am half-English, and half-Welsh in my immediate genetic background.
23andme places me solidly as of European/north European descent.

WARNING! Anecdotal evidence. I have always had a susceptibility to catching
colds (at least since the age of 10), which may well have to do with low D
levels. Over the last few months, while supplementing with vitamin D, I am
one of the few people among my co-workers and associates who has not
suffered from 'flu or a cold. Basically, what I'm saying is:

GET YOUR VITAMIN D 25-HYDROXY LEVELS CHECKED!

--Max

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> *The skin produces vitamin D3 sulfate upon exposure to sunlight, and the
> vitamin D3 found in breast milk is also sulfated. In light of these facts,
> it is quite surprising to me that so little research has been directed
> towards understanding what role sulfated vitamin D3 plays in the body. It
> is recently becoming apparent that vitamin D3 promotes a strong immune
> system and offers protection against cancer, yet how it achieves these
> benefits is not at all clear. I strongly suspect that it is vitamin D3
> sulfate that carries out this aspect of vitamin D3's positive influence.*
> *
> *
> *Modern lifestyle practices conspire to induce major deficiencies in
> cholesterol sulfate and vitamin D3 sulfate. We are encouraged to actively
> avoid sun exposure and to minimize dietary intake of cholesterol-containing
> foods. We are encouraged to consume a high-carbohydrate/low-fat diet which,
> as I have argued previously (Seneff2010), leads to impaired cholesterol
> uptake in cells. We are told nothing about sulfur, yet many factors,
> ranging from the Clean Air Act to intensive farming to water softeners,
> deplete the supply of sulfur in our food and water.*
> *
> *
> *Fortunately, correcting these deficiencies at the individual level is
> easy and straightforward. If you just throw away the sunscreen and eat more
> eggs, those two steps alone may greatly increase your chances of living a
> long and healthy life.*
> *
> *
> -Dave

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation
7895 E. Acoma Dr # 110
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
480/905-1906 ext 113