[ExI] Is future progress moving to virtual reality?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Mar 10 11:28:50 UTC 2013

On 10/03/2013 10:07, BillK wrote:
> Surely that is an indicator of the direction that public interest is
> moving in? The general public like the retro 1950s science fiction
> view of the future.

Maybe because the kind of future *we* envision actually scares them? Or
for that matter, most of the other future visions peddled by groups with
some kind of vision (say a green ecotopia) tend to be off-putting?

The 50s sf future was 50s society writ large, thanks to big technology.
There were roaring starships, but the crews would be blond captains with
neat haircuts and no minorities in sight. There would be super-cities