[ExI] Is future progress moving to virtual reality?

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 10 15:23:25 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] Is future progress moving to virtual reality?

>...Agreed that Disney are trying to create what sells and appeals to the
public...

Ja, this is how businesses evolve.

>...Surely that is an indicator of the direction that public interest is
moving in?...I don't think it is comfort that is driving this. I think it is
a feeling that the world is out of control, has gone crazy and people just
want it to stop. (But maybe that's just me!)  :)...BillK

I agree it is a common perception, one that can be harnessed with effective
advertising.  A notion in the advertising world is that sex sells, but death
sells better.  So what we are seeing is the success of advertising to the
masses, planting the notions of danger for profit.  Evidence, see gun and
ammo sales in the US in the past four years.

I agree that the perception exists of a world gone crazy and out of control.
However I compare now to the 60s, and it seems to be just the opposite.  I
see a world far more sane and more in control than ever before, and I just
want it to go.  For instance, in the masses once entertained themselves with
recreational drugs.  Now, it is primarily video games.  Given the two, I
suppose the videos are less harmful, even after we recognize that they may
be influencing people to go on murderous rampages.  One can scarcely imagine
anything more out of control and collectively insane than world war 2.