[ExI] Bosch exits Solar business in Germany

spike spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 29 14:39:24 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
>>... about 12 storeys high, fill the pipe with the seawater, there you have
your 4 bars...

>...Running the pipe up a building sounds more expensive (in terms of
effort:
find someone w/a 12 story building willing to let you do science like this,
and haul in enough seawater) than just getting a boat and going out to sea.
Also potentially less conclusive...

Ja.  What I meant was I have a compressor in my garage that goes to 120 psi,
twice four bars.  We could put together a short piece of pipe and use
compressed air to give that little bit of pressure differential without tall
buildings, boats or pipe.

>>... The report that contained the original claim didn't give any details
> regarding the graphene membrane however.  I can imagine those details
> may be much harder to come by than producing a paltry 60 psi water column.

>...yeah.  Do you have the original report, that the reporters can be
contacted and asked how they acquired or made that membrane?

I haven't seen any details anywhere, or any suggestion for how graphene
could somehow overcome the 27 bar osmotic pressure of seawater to fresh.
The takeaway is that we need to beware of the claims being made for
graphene.  It is really cool stuff, but it can't do magic.