[ExI] underwater sprinkler, was: RE: Musical instruments in space

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 31 04:50:11 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
.

>>.Some of you mathematical hotties, do explain that observation please,
using differential equations, or whatever is your favorite mathematical
technology, including even a digital model or a Matlab sim.  If you manage
it, the grand prize will be yours: my sincere everlasting admiration.

>.Who needs equations?

.

I needs equations.

Consider an S-shaped sprinkler suspended from a latex hose, underwater.
Imagine water is pumped thru the sprinkler in the traditional manner at 1 ml
per second, and we discover the sprinkler rotates positive pi radians.  2 ml
per second rotates it 2 pi radians and so on.

Now imagine pumping water thru it backwards.  For any steady flow, we
observe zero rotation.  If the flow is accelerated backwards at 1 ml per
second squared, what is the rotation?  If the flow is 2 ml per second
squared, do we get twice the rotation?  If we use a denser fluid, does it
require the same flow acceleration to produce a rotation?  Or less?  Or
more?  Could we use a compressible fluid like air and get similar results?
Does the shape of the nozzles come into play?  There is a lot of science in
that simple experimental setup.

Truth: we don't *really* understand a system until we can derive a system of
simultaneous differential equations that can correctly model its behavior.