[ExI] [Exl] Digital Consciousness

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 00:02:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> You don't know and yet you do know, with certainty, that computers can't be
> conscious. That's the problem. The brain contains atoms, the atoms follow
> the same laws of physics as atoms do everywhere else in the universe, and it
> is just that the atoms in the brain are in a particular arrangement that
> results in consciousness. There is nothing in these observations that
> precludes computer consciousness, but you think there is.

For the sake of completeness, I'd like to propose that humans don't
_really_ think either.

In fact, I suspect the rare occasions that can be pointed to as
evidence of intelligence are merely random coincidence that occur far
below the statistical noise floor of observable data.  Think about
that...  Oh right.. you can't.  :)