[ExI] [Exl] Digital Consciousness

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri May 3 23:44:49 UTC 2013

On 04/05/2013, at 9:04 AM, Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Stathis,
>
> > Where does the semantics in the brain come from, and why is the matter in the brain specially privileged?
>
> Neuroscience has not yet answered those questions. This is what I meant when I said it is incomplete. Perhaps the answers will look something like Brent's theory. I don't pretend to know.
>
> Neuroscience is still in its infancy, but one day we will understand the biological processes that cause consciousness. With that information, we will perhaps be in a position to synthesize a brain.

You don't know and yet you do know, with certainty, that computers can't be conscious. That's the problem. The brain contains atoms, the atoms follow the same laws of physics as atoms do everywhere else in the universe, and it is just that the atoms in the brain are in a particular arrangement that results in consciousness. There is nothing in these observations that precludes computer consciousness, but you think there is.