[ExI] Vision, people. Vision!

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon May 20 08:26:13 UTC 2013

OK, shifting again from Mikes descriptive but overly long meta-subject.

I have been thinking about mid-term strategic goals for a while now.
Back in the day, we tended to think that if we promoted various
technologies as possible, and the transhumanist idea that they were
worthwhile eventually sensible people would get it, and we would roar
towards a transhumanist future. But what has actually become clear is
that things are a fair bit more complex in real life: acceptance of
technological possibilities does not mean acceptance of transhumanist
ideals, many new technologies have troubling risks, and achieving
transhumanist aims requires getting involved in what can only be called
politics. Transhumanism has gained a whole bundle of respectable allies
and enemies, but in many ways it is a complex and fragmentary situation.
And many of the grandiose ideas we spun in the 90s are today fairly
mainstream - they percolated out through science fiction into the
memetic landscape, and are no longer that shocking or radical.

One approach might of course be to try for coming up with new, even more
radical ideas. Stuff that really blows people's minds. The problem is
that many of the truly mindblowing things are rather hard to convey -
quantum computation, acausal trade, and a world of ubiqitious identity
technology are hard to explain, even if they would really change our
future. And blowing people's minds is not the primary goal: we want a
great future, so mere life extension, smarter governance structures and
atomically precise manufacturing are more important than wowing people
(unless that wowing somehow gets them to do useful things). Blowing
minds attracts the swarmers and seekers, while repelling the doers and
mainstream.

Another approach is to focus. The SENS foundation, FHI and MIRI are
quite successful in what they do because they focus on a few things,
find funding, and become good at them. General movements and networks
will rarely achieve this, since they are too diffuse in their aims and
typically lack administrative cohesion. Having people actually work out
projects or theories in detail and getting supporters bringing them
about or spreading the knowledge does matter.

A third way, which I think has not happened much yet, is to deliberately
look for a new transhumanist vision. Yes, there have been rebrandings
and all sorts of wonderful expressions of transhumanism as art,
movements and proclamations. But most have lacked that cohesive vision
that gives you a fire in your belly. It is not enough to write a grand
manifesto, it has to hang together logically and probably appear at the
right time and place. That last part is important: current transhumanism
emerged during the liminal period in the early 90s where the old Cold
War order of the world was breaking up and a new one formed - such
periods are great opportunities for new memes to become part of the
Zeitgeist. We missed the 911 transformation, which was probably just as
well. But where is the next liminal appearing? We want to be there and
seed it.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute