[ExI] chinese synthesis

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun May 26 06:52:04 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM, spike wrote:
> Of course languages have all that cultural stuff which we don't know how to
> do, expressions and so forth.  That would be lost; we would get only very
> literal translations.
<snip>
> So all that subtle cultural stuff would be lost.  But in the case with the
> Japanese motorcycle mechanic, if we stayed right on the technical stuff and
> didn't try to chat, it kinda worked.  A Lebab might work to some extent, if
> we didn't try to get too poetic with it.

Yes, initially we would have to use one of the Basic English variants
that are around.
e.g. Voice of America radio. Small vocabulary, no colloquialisms.

If you ever get into emails with a foreigner you soon pick up the
basic style required.
Translating your email into their language and back again, gives a
good guide as to where you are getting too complicated.

BillK