[ExI] chinese synthesis

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri May 31 13:15:44 UTC 2013

On 26 May 2013 08:21, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> Of course languages have all that cultural stuff which we don't know how to
> do, expressions and so forth.  That would be lost; we would get only very
> literal translations.

Any translation is a betrayal, and provided that it matters (say, with
poetry) can at best suggest the style or aesthetic value or music of the
original, but we are already suffering from that, and machine translation
need not be especially more literal than human-made ones...

Besides the "semantic" AI angle, we can already vastly improve the quality
of machine translation by resorting to brute force, namely to an ever
increasing dictionary not just of words and of their flexions, but of
entire locutions and sentences the likely meaning of which can also be
weighed in view of the possible context after a very large library of
hand-made translations.

It is my understanding that much of all that is already being investigated
and developed.