[ExI] The Problem with Drugs (was Re: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 6 22:38:54 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson

>. How many of those deaths would be prevented if there were a safe and
legal place to go to use drugs? I'm guessing most of them.

Kelly we have been given reason for optimism.  We can at least imagine using
those big see-thru office spaces for a place to go get stoned, sort of like
a bar, only crazier.  We could even combine recreational drugs with various
simulated realities, isolate the stoners from the paying spectators, let
them do their thing.  The optimism comes in technology handing us a means
for the stoners to get home after their time in the arena is up, without
their getting behind the wheel and introducing a risk to me.

If we get a facility like that and a means for their cars to take the
stoners home safely afterwards, we can end this absurd war on drugs.

>.In the past 8 years or so, there have been 80,000 deaths in the drug wars
just in Mexico.So is the "cure" worse than the problem?

Ja, sure is.

>.We lose more people (21,329 vs. ~17,000) to misuse of legal drugs than to
misuse of illicit drugs. -Kelly

Ja, alcohol being the big one.  It was grandfathered in.  It is clear enough
to me we need to just let it go as in trying to control recreational drugs.
I notice no one has yet suggested turning over drug enforcement to the IRS.

As a parting shot on that last comment, it occurred to me that the IRS has
been used as a law enforcement agency in the past.  Al Capone was really
good a understanding law: he knew how to control evidence so it would be
inherently difficult to prosecute him.  So the feds finally prosecuted him
on tax evasion.