[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 08:32:37 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
> > And yet mars currently lacks a molten core. It also lacks the
> magnetosphere
> > that would protect martians from radiation. Would mars count as one of
> the
> > planets counted by NASA in this survey?
>
> I think there is still debate about Mars.

There is no debate (that I know of) that mars has a very weak
magnetosphere. That is the issue that most affects life at this point. It
probably did have one in the distant past.

So nobody knows NASA's definition of goldilocks planets well enough to know
if mars would count as one of the eight billion or not?

-Kelly