[ExI] Double-Earth (Was: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Nov 26 10:40:36 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-25 15:23, spike wrote:

> >...There are other expanding liquids like beryllium difluoride, but most
> are elements like silicon, bismuth, antimony, gallium and plutonium...
>
> Ja.  I can't think of any life forms that depend on that oddball
> characteristic of water ice.  Perhaps the remarkable thing here is
> that with all the ice on this planet, there are no known (to me) life
> forms that use it in its solid phase.  One would think there would be
> a snow eater somewhere.  Clearly it wouldn't be to extract energy from
> the water (ground state compound) but rather some kind of life form
> that can plant itself in snow and use sunlight.

There are algae that thrive not just on or under sea-ice, but in it:
http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/essay_krembsdeming.html
Also, some animals have adapted to freezing in order to (I assume) get a
first shot at good locations:
http://science.whoi.edu/labs/pinedalab/Subpages/larvaeinice.html

But note that they do not eat snow - it would need to provide so much
energy per volume eaten that it counteracts the energy required to melt
it, and that is a pretty tall order.

> >... Even I agree that a planet with plutonium oceans is unlikely to be
> habitable for life. -- Dr Anders Sandberg
>
> I learned a new thing by thinking about this.  There is an isotope of
> plutonium which is non-fissile, 244.  Get a sphere of the stuff, heat
> it to 900 and some Kelvin, you have an ocean of plutonium, with
> radioactive particles up the kazoo but no fission.  Until Anders'
> offhanded comment about an ocean of plutonium, I never knew there was
> such a critter.  Ain't science kewallll?  {8-]

Sounds like a great practical joke to do when re-engineering a solar
system. A hot ecology based on plutonium as a solvent for some weird
metal-oxide biochemistry/mechanochemistry.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute