[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 27 02:51:37 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:11 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

So 23andMe now have to prove that their tests actually work. If they
say a subject is at risk of a disease, they have to prove it.

Just out of curiosity - Spike, what are your plans in case the data 23andMe
sent you turns out to be bogus?

Dunno.  Open to suggestion on that.  I didn't really take the medical stuff
very seriously.  That wasn't what I meant with finding out stuff I wish I
didn't know.  As far as my disease risks, I do hope that part is right: I
got off easy on that.

The DNA links to distant cousins turned out to be worth the price many times
over, if I can force myself to forget about that incident with General
Sherman's boys.  That one still haunts me, and had a big negative impact on
my black cousins.  It was all a terrific tool for genealogy, which was at a
dead end in so many ways.  Now I mostly figured out where the genetic
anomalies are located, and found the people who know.

Regarding the medical stuff, a couple months ago I went for my regular
annual checkup (my last one for the foreseeable, thankyouverymuch
ObamaCare.)  My doctor and I went over the results from 23andMe.  She hadn't
actually seen one of them before, but it indicated a risk for a condition,
so she ordered a test, and sure enough, I came back a 1.7 sigma case on
that.  Fortunately it was nothing life-threatening.  But I am taking steps
to compensate.  Now isn't that a perfectly legitimate argument for taking
the test?  Just use the DNA tests to see if there is some more-rigorous
medical tests that might be done.  It isn't a conclusive diagnostic test in
itself.

Regarding the earlier comment on their order to cease marketing the spit
kit, as of last night, you can still order the kits.  One site seems to
think it had to do with a TV commercial 23andMe was running.  If the FDA is
saying you need some kind of approval to advertise the service, that might
be understandable.  I still disagree with  stopping the marketing effort,
but I disagree with a lot of what is going on with the US government.  They
don't listen to me.  They don't listen to any of us.  After November 2014
perhaps they will listen.

I learned so much about genetics from the whole exercise.  I would do it
again.