[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 27 20:52:25 UTC 2013

Mrs. Google just sent out a note:

Dear 23andMe Customers,

I wanted to reach out to you about the FDA letter that was sent to 23andMe
last Friday.

It is absolutely critical that our consumers get high quality genetic data
that they can trust. We have worked extensively with our lab partner to make
sure that the results we return are accurate. We stand behind the data that
we return to customers - but we recognize that the FDA needs to be convinced
of the quality of our data as well.

23andMe has been working with the FDA to navigate the correct regulatory
path for direct-to-consumer genetic tests. This is new territory, not just
for 23andMe, but for the FDA as well. The FDA is an important partner for
23andMe and we will be working hard to move forward with them.

I apologize for the limited response to the questions many of you have
raised regarding the letter and its implications for the service. We don't
have the answers to all of those questions yet, but as we learn more we will
update you.

I am committed to providing each of you with a trusted consumer product
rooted in high quality data that adheres to the best scientific standards.
All of us at 23andMe believe that genetic information can lead to healthier
lives.

Thank you for your loyalty to 23andMe. Please refer to our 23andMe blog for
updates on this process.

Anne Wojcicki
Co-founder and CEO, 23andMe