[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 17:23:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you explain why I am not allowed to buy heroin and cocaine as I
> feel like it?
> Or drive at 100mph when I judge it safe to do so?
> I am well able to behave responsibly and not cause damage to myself or
> others.
> Does the nanny state see me as too stupid/irresponsible to act on my own?

I can't explain the restriction on your use of drugs without invoking the
same kind of loss of personal liberties to the nanny state.  I think
there's a social contract that suggests you won't rob me to pay for your
addiction and you won't assault me for entertainment (possibly while high)
- I also think that social contract would prevent me from telling you what
drugs you should or shouldn't ingest.  For example, people seem to have
more long-term exposure health problems with legal alcohol than with
illegal marijuana - idk why one is ok and the other not.

I think you should be allowed to drive 100mph, but only when there is no
possibility for the capability of others to interfere or bring themselves
harm as a result.  This is somewhat different from the personal liberty of
drug usage because my reaction time isn't able to accommodate your
vehicle's speed on a shared resource like the road.

i know, there are cases where ones liberties with drugs impact another via
a shared resource... such as addicted mothers neglecting their dependent
children's needs.  Obviously we need some solution to those kinds of
problems.  I just don't think more government is the answer.

As far as the last question (re: nanny state) - i don't know.  I'm
frequently told that I have a bad attitude and that I never have anything
positive to say.  I really want to believe we're able to make intelligent
choices for ourselves and be able to manage the consequences of those
choices.  That's my optimist side.  I keep seeing examples where we yield
our right to choose to a government decider-er.  That's my pessimist view.

How do you see these trends?