[ExI] Google search personalization

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Nov 30 16:18:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013, BillK wrote:

> Did you realize that Google edits your search results?
> It is called your 'Filter Bubble'. You get search results similar to
> previous searches.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble>
> Quote:
> A filter bubble is a result state in which a website algorithm
> selectively guesses what information a user would like to see based on
> information about the user (such as location, past click behaviour and
> search history) and, as a result, users become separated from
> information that disagrees with their viewpoints, effectively
> isolating them in their own cultural or ideological bubbles.
> ------------

Ah. Thanks for nice keyword term :-). I have noticed some time ago that
google serves me a total crap on some of my queries, while duck gives much
better choice of links. What was total in my case - something like only
two links both leading to some pages looking like a dictionary dump on
results page, so I didn't bothered to click.

Ok, so google knows me and this is why I get crap? Ouch... I'd rather ask
a stranger, then.

The autopropaganda is another marvel keyword. Very potent. And very cool.
I guess youngsters will love it.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola