[ExI] another step towards uploading

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Oct 2 09:49:29 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-02 05:05, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> A technique capable of directly reading nanoscale molecular
> distributions of multiple molecular species (a prerequisite for
> individual brain physiology reconstruction) is the holy grail of brain
> uploading. Near-field MRS could be it, perhaps.

I wonder how much and what information is actually needed to deduce
synapse types. Obviously, just cataloging the local chemical species
would give a ground truth. But we also know vesicle size and electron
density gives about a bit of information (roughly, excitatory or
inhibitory). Voltammetry reveals levels of dopamine, serotonin and
noradrenaline. No doubt other markers indicate other properties, likely
in a noisy and overlapping manner. But from a machine learning
perspective, if we had good data sets of multimodal data we could try
training classifiers that could tease out a proper decision tree.
Comparing with real ground truth is of course essential, so we need a
"chemical dissection method" for synapses to use as test set. But I
suspect that in the end we will end up with surprisingly simple
statistical models.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute