[ExI] Meditations on the million year mind.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Oct 9 19:31:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 11:59:56AM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:

> I don't know that "learning" will have the same meaning after
> uploading.  You need a new skill, you just load it like we load
> programs today.

This implies having a common encoding layer (something like
language, only for function), or at least one can easily translate
into. Starting with biology, due to wide structure diversity and
no apparent homology at low signal layers it appears to be difficult
to even translate for different substrates. It's not obvious how
the result would have detectable homologies, without having
an effective monoclone with minor diffs, which is a pathological,
and quite useless case. So maybe no "I know Kung Fu". And if
you can do fast-forward unconscious learning, why waste that
time by editing memory?