[ExI] Meditations on the million year mind.

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 18:59:56 UTC 2013

From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG at verizon.net>

> om

> Tonite I feel like mumbling incoherently about how you would go about
> engineering a mind to last a million years. The problem is much less
> trivial than it would first appear

And very possibly more immediate.

Consider widespread uploading by mid century and million to one
speedup.  That means by the end of the calendar century, some people
could have 50 million subjective years of existence.

> because the main issue is to maintain
> a youthful learning capacity even when memories spanning thousands of
> years are already stored.

I don't know that "learning" will have the same meaning after
uploading.  You need a new skill, you just load it like we load
programs today.

It's gonna get weird.

Keith