[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 21:02:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 02:14:53PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> >
> > Infrastructure work is not an idea, or a mobile app. Look at the
> > > last time we did it. Try ordering a synfuel plant on Amazon.
> > >

> > Uh, my brother is currently building a synfuel plant for Sasol in
> > Louisiana. He had three bidders competing to build it. It is not "off the
> > shelf" by any means, but no large chemical plant is. You can't buy any
> > chemical plant on Amazon.
>
> Look at the numbers below (budget, time of contruction, consider
> bottlenecks).
> Multiply by domestic (US) demand, including budget (US will default). Add
> matching
> renewable electricity capacity and water electrolysis instead of methane,
> because the
> natural gas bonanza is fleeting. See that deployment rate, or budget
> for that deployment rate? Nobody talks about these figures when talking
> about PV, wind, or even nuke.
>
> http://mg.co.za/article/2013-09-20-00-sasol-cracks-major-us-fracking-deal

Quoting from the article:
Antoine said the only concern is that, because of the rush for
petrochemical companies to build these plants, in future, there may be too
much capacity.

Doesn't sound too doom and gloom to me in terms of energy supply. I really
don't see how you can turn that into something negative, unless you are
concerned about CO2 emissions. There will be a shit load of CO2 emissions
from this plant.

-Kelly