[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 03:09:48 UTC 2013

Eugen wrote:

>> Believe all you want, I'm done. Let's talk again in 20 years.

### Uh, finally!

This EROEI stuff has been really talked to death hereabouts, it's like
the identity thread.

Also, concentrating on it detracts from our ability to think about the
real challenges of our society, such as loss of economic feedback
loops, potentially dangerous social inhomogeneities, the coming robot
apocalypse, etc. Not that one could do something about them anyway but
at least we would go down arguing about stuff that matters. Plus,
there is a good chance that increased return on capital achieved
through AI and a well-managed transition to the robot society will
allow us to muddle through and maybe even flourish. So maybe it will
be all good, in 20 years.

Rafal