[ExI] Warren Buffett is worried too and thinks Republicans are "asinine"

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Oct 19 17:12:55 UTC 2013

On 19/10/2013 16:52, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 08:01:17AM -0700, spike wrote:
>
>> Ja.  BillK, how are the Brits doing?  Are you guys balancing your books
>> these days?  Eugen, how are the Germans doing?  Anders, Swedes?  Italians
> The Germans are only doing well in comparison to rest of Europe.

Half-full vs. half-empty glasses. Sweden is doing decently by European
standards, the UK as usual underperforming a bit but nowhere near the
French or Mediterranean levels. It is a matter of muddling through.

I think one can argue that the EU as a political institution is pretty
ineffective and most euro governments too complacent. But they are not
actively crazy, at least not in the northern half of Europe. As the
Economist put it, at least they vaguely talk about solutions rather than
just make up things that will not work at all. There is no political
deadlock in the same way as in the US.

Will be visiting Norway next week, it might be fun seeing how the
successful half lives. (I will talk transhumanism at an atheism youth camp)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute