[ExI] Life extension

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 17:36:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Well, me and professor Linda Partridge will have 10 minutes each, and the
> Minister for Care and Ageing is presumably busy enough to escape after
> having done his job. So the total amount of topics will be very, very
> limited.
>
> The core idea is to explain to the politicians that we are seeing increases
> in life expectancy, that longevity risk (uncertainty about future mortality)
> is going up, and that there are potential for interventions to extended
> lifespan. So weought to develop strategies for dealing with this.  I will
> talk about the ethical and social motivations why longevity is a good thing.
>
> Hmm, interesting realization: the Minister is on the health side rather than
> research. So he might have less ability to help research, but ought to be
> good for the advisory board idea.

Only 10 minutes!  Better keep it simple and straight to the point.

Keeping people healthy longer will save a fortune on NHS costs.
Ideally politicians don't want people to use the NHS at all. Just keep
healthy until they drop.

Also keeping people healthy longer will enable them to keep working
longer and mean that paying pensions can be postponed to an even later
age than current predictions. Pension age 100 years old? He'll like
that.

BillK