[ExI] inernet whiffenpoof, was: RE: Tracking your internet browsing

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 19:07:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM, spike  wrote:
> Cool!  Anders how do you do that?  I have my ways, but they are clumsy, such
> as doing random word Google searches and having friends use my email
> accounts, even sending email with my spike on there, that sort of thing.
> What I want is some script or app which starts up if the computer is idle
> for about 10 minutes, then randomly generates a few words, does a google
> search, picks a random hit from the choices 10 through 20, grabs about four
> or five random words from that site and repeats a search on those words,
> always ignoring the top site or any site which is in the recently visited
> list.
>
> It should repeat the process about every three to five minute randomly
> chosen time intervals, around the clock.
>
> Wouldn't that scheme make it impossible to take someone's websearch history
> for use as an advertisement magnet?  What about the recent case where a web
> search history was used as evidence in court?  Could not some evil Tea Party
> candidate use website search history to discourage or defame a political
> opponent?

Eugen's suggestion is best. Just don't have a search history at all.

But have a read through the Privacy and Security extensions for
Firefox and install those you like.

Trackerblock stops ad companies tracking you.

TrackMeNot runs in Firefox and Chrome as a low-priority background
process that periodically issues randomized search-queries to popular
search engines, e.g., AOL, Yahoo!, Google, and Bing. It hides users'
actual search trails in a cloud of 'ghost' queries, significantly
increasing the difficulty of aggregating such data into accurate or
identifying user profiles. To better simulate user behavior TrackMeNot
uses a dynamic query mechanism to 'evolve' each client (uniquely) over
time, parsing the results of its searches for 'logical' future query
terms with which to replace those already used.

There are many others.

BillK