[ExI] inernet whiffenpoof, was: RE: Tracking your internet browsing

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 18:47:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 10:11:06AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
> > Btguard.com can help keep your ISP in the dark. I use it for
> bittorrenting
>
> But Btguard knows your real IP address and your physical identity by
> having your payment information on file.

True enough. Though they are in Canada. Doesn't protect me from the NSA,
but my problem was with my ISP, not the NSA.

> > only though because I had a problem there. My ISP was apparently sharing
> my
> > personal information with the RIAA and the like.
>
> If you think that using a VPN service is sufficient, evidence shows
> that it isn't.

It has worked for over a year to keep my ISP off my back, which is all I
cared about.

> > The power of what companies can do for me by NOT shielding myself is
> > sufficient that I'm not sure I want to block what I browse.
>
> I see you're still drinking the cool aid. Hint: whatever the
> corporation knows about you the government does. That's
> the price of staying in business. So, long-term, the
> only companies which stay in business are sellouts.
>
> If you're thiking that the power of companies is to offer
> you the best products at lowest prices, try visiting the same
> site with privacy shields on. You might see something you won't
> like.

You missed my point. As a software person, I recognize that the more data I
have about a customer, the better customer service I can provide. The loss
of privacy is a side effect, but the increase in customer service is
measurable.

If, for example, Google serves me more relevant advertising, I don't have
to watch tampon ads. I like not having to watch tampon ads, than you very
much. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

-Kelly