[ExI] A Gedanken Rational Eugenics Experiment (AGREE)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Oct 27 19:32:34 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-27 18:42, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> Or it may be a wash... No serious academic has done a study showing
> the opposite... i.e. that conservatives as a group are more
> intelligent than liberals... which may be a case of who's doing such
> studies... who knows?

There are some interesting results suggesting that it is more a matter
of personality than intelligence. If you have a more fearful, neophobic
personality you will be less likely to pursue open-ended learning and to
prefer to cleave to tried and tested tradition. End result:
conservatives would have somewhat lower education and IQ, despite the IQ
not causing their conservatism.

A smarter population does not necessarily mean smarter politics. A less
fearful population on the other hand is pretty likely to produce a more
liberal political outlook.

(And if we could just block people's "sacred value" system somewhere in
amygdala, they would all become libertarians! ;-)

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute