[ExI] MiNTing (or if you must, APM) library

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Oct 28 22:39:42 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-28 05:17, paul michael wrote:
>  That is why I'm worried, transitional times destroy, they also create
> but creating takes time. Shopkeepers, shoe salesmen, people who just
> are living week to week will really need WYSIWYG with respect to this
> 'box'.

WYSIWYG does not solve the problem. The laser printer and windowing
system did not turn everybody into a graphics designer or author. To
actually make something useful with a box you need to understand the
right kind of engineering, hacking and design. It is likely a mindset
rather than a skillset, and not everybody can get it.

In a world where you could get anything you could imagine, the people
with poor imagination would still be losers. And they cannot easily
imagine a better imagination.

But this is separate from the inherent turbulence of transitions. I
think APM is going to be much less dramatic than we commonly think here
simply because it just transforms a lot of manufacturing, retail and
transport - important parts of the economy, but already a fairly thin
slice of the overall cake. It is technologies like AI that transform
services - the big pie slice - that really will change the economy. Yes,
APM will make our material culture quite different. But it doesn't
change the service backbone. And being less disruptive than AI doesn't
mean it is going to be minor - I would expect at least a few major power
losing out in the transition.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute