[ExI] FW: How Electricity Became a Luxury Good

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 17:54:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Peak nonbreeder fissible is 2020,

That's only 7 years away, did you reach that conclusion because in 2013
uranium is the CHEAPEST it's been since 2006, 7 years ago? I'm not entirely
sure that's the correct way to make good predictions. By the way, although
it was all the rage not long ago, lately I haven't heard much about peak
oil by 2020; is that because in 2012 the USA saw the largest yearly
increase in oil production since oil drilling started in 1859?

> and there are no safe, affordable breeders.

Thorium breeders are inherently safe, or at least vastly safer than any
uranium reactor, breeder or non-breeder. Living next to a thorium power
plant would be much more pleasant than living next to a coal powered plant
too. And at current rates of consumption we will run out of thorium in the
Earth's crust about the same time we run out of solar energy because the
sun itself will have run out of fuel. So thorium reactors have just as much
right to call themselves "renewable" as solar cells do.

  John K Clark