[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 16:08:51 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 01:21:49AM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > > WHY DO YOU THINK I BOTHER WRITING THIS CRAP?
> >
> > Because it is an emotional release, that feels good enough to addict.
>
> I'm trying to spread the "good news" to make people stand up from
> their comfy chair, and do something about it.
>
> The ideal response should look somewhat like
> http://www.theoildrum.com/node/10230

Insisting that everyone who's doing something about it is wasting their
time, and that doom is inevitable, won't get people to do that.  Quite the
opposite.

> > That's the mental image "disasterbation" is supposed to convey.
>
> Here is some more high-quality desasterbation:
> http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.de/

No, that seems to simply miss the point that the more expensive technology
is creating a disproportionately greater output, thus justifying the cost
per machine.  It is specifically not saying that everyone is doomed
regardless of anything we do so we might as well stop trying.