[ExI] roboburgers to go

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Sep 26 16:47:23 UTC 2013

>.Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ExI] roboburgers to go

I don't know if this has already mentioned in this thread, but my colleagues
Carl Frey and Mike Osborne has done a pretty intriguing study of what jobs
are at risk from AI:
http://theconversation.com/machines-on-the-march-threaten-almost-half-of-mod
ern-jobs-18485
http://www.futuretech.ox.ac.uk/future-employment-how-susceptible-are-jobs-co
mputerisation-oms-working-paper-dr-carl-benedikt-frey-m
They have a list at the end. Don't aim at the high probability occupations
for a career. .

Thanks Anders.  I have seen this coming for at least 20 years.  In  1993, I
was working with a couple of senior aerodynamics guys at Lockheed, hoping to
steer my career that way.  The three of us were writing a study on the
flight path of aero-shrouds for THAAD missile, using closed form equations.
We hired a couple of young guys to set up a NASTRAN model, which they did,
starting after we started and finishing before we finished.  Together they
cost the company less than I did alone, since they were contractors.  They
got better answers, with more actual information than we equation-jockeys
were providing, tighter tolerances, fun graphics, everything, and they knew
nothing about air, nothing about all the cool science in shock wave
mechanics, nothing.  They didn't have engineering degrees, they didn't study
science or calculus, they didn't understand or care why the shrouds flew the
way they did.  But after they ran a million sims they knew how the shrouds
flew, better than we did, we being the math guys with all the brains.

After that project I decided against becoming an aero-guru.  Good choice;
the aero group is nearly disbanded now, twenty five guys down to six today.

There are many jobs that we almost have a moral duty to eliminate.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg

I couldn't have said it better Anders.  But we are eliminating good jobs
along with the lousy ones.

I struggle to find things to teach my own seven yr old son, since I want him
to learn relevant skills.  All around me I see things that can easily be
automated, and once they are, there is just no point in learning the theory
behind the software, any more than we really need to understand shock wave
mechanics of a tumbling aero-shroud or how to extract square roots by hand
(I STILL know how to do that fun but useless skill.)

I am open to suggestion from anyone here on teaching my mathematically
talented 7 yr old.  He is performing actual algebra and geometry in the
second grade, no fooling.  His entire top row on his Khan Academy board is
dark blue, 134 skills mastered and nearly a hundred more level 1s and 2s.  I
have him doing Blender and Excel macros.

Question please, what does a father teach a son today, assuming access to
the collective  wisdom of years represented by this group?

Anders, Kelly, Eugen, Keith, anyone else especially fathers, what do we do
now, coach?