[ExI] Climate models

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Apr 2 20:10:33 UTC 2014

spike <spike66 at att.net> , 2/4/2014 6:29 PM:

All those deal-with-danger instincts are still there.  Where do they focus
now?  Do they express themselves in mostly imaginary risks?  Are they poorly
suited for dealing with the very real threats?  Why is it we see all this
energy spent on global warming and yet have what appears to be a huge
societal blind spot to the more immediate and dire risk of increasing energy
cost?  ...
Our threat reaction instincts need to be tuned somehow.

Priorities in general need tuning. In almost any domain there are huge gains to be made if priorities were made better: the most important thing usually has value at least twice the second most important one. And hence spending effort on figuring out which one to go for is rational up to half of the cost difference.
But we are extra bad at thinking about risks. http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and-reality/ebola-organic-food-and-fukushima-three-dopeslaps-about-how-we-get-risk-wrong
Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University