[ExI] Death follows European contact (Mirco Romanato)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 18:09:30 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM, spike wrote:
> Right or wrong, Pinker's book brings up some really important questions, and
> sheds light on Keith Henson's favorite topic, evolutionary psychology.  Do
> we have sufficient critical mass to create a Better Angels discussion group?
> Or shall we just post it all here?  How many Better Angel fans have we?
> Keith?  Rafal?  Others?

It seems obvious that since WW1 and WW2, nuclear weapons have stopped
large nations fighting all-out wars against each other, thus leading
to a reduction in wartime deaths. If nuclear weapons ever are used,
then the death reduction graph line will reverse dramatically.

What has replaced it is large nations picking fights with small
nations with small fighting forces, thus leading to many small wars
but with fewer deaths. Is permanent war against terrorism 'better'?
Because the wars are fought over small foreign countries land with
fewer military deaths and more foreign civilian deaths and millions of
refugees?

Is a military Pax Romana under the domination of an imperial
superpower an objective to be desired?

BillK