[ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:57:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>> The entire point of morality is to maximize happiness, otherwise there
>> is no point in having it at all, so if it works then it's justified, if it
>> doesn't then it's not.
>>

> > It is worth noting that you are making a *huge* claim here,

Fair point, perhaps I should have said the point of morality is to maximize
self fulfillment and to minimize pain because when one is in intense pain
it's very difficult to do anything except suffer.

> you think philosophers are useless

"Useless" was in a earlier edition of the guide that had many omissions and
contained much that was apocryhal, or at least wildly inaccurate;  in the
newer edition I go into more detail, the editors trimmed it a bit but it's
still a improvement, it says "mostly useless".

> you don't care that a planeload of very smart people who have worked a
> lot on ethics think you are wrong

Are smart people more ethical than dumb people?

> One can actually argue that happiness is just a means to an end: a brain
> module evolved to guide behaviour towards more inclusive fitness.

To evolution "inclusive fitness" means getting more genes into the next
generation, but even though evolution invented the brain that brain my have
other ideas about what it means, like having fun. That's why the brain
invented condoms even though they do not help get genes into the next
generation one bit.

  John K Clark