[ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 08:37:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I was fortunate to go into aerospace.  Of all fields I know of, that one
> is the most free of ethical dilemmas.  In my entire career I never ran
> across one that I recall.  Our bosses might lean on us to work our asses
> off, but not once was I ever pressured to do the wrong thing, or to do
> anything against my conscience or to rush anything out the door before I
> was completely satisfied it was right.

One might argue that going into a weapons design firm, knowing that you're
designing stuff intended to be used to kill other human beings, is an
ethical issue in and of itself - and that includes most military aviation
design.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003227049/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Aviation_films for starters.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM, david <deimtee at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 10:20:24 +0000
> BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I suspect the above statement could apply to every possible treatment
> > for Alzheimers. People are desperate. They will try anything that
> > might help. But their attempts may cause more damage instead of
> > helping.
>
> Alzheimers eats away at your brain until you die.  It seems difficult for
> side-effects to top that, especially for a cryonicist to whom preserving
> the
> brain is paramount.

Alheimers locks down brain functions, such as the formation of new
long-term memories, but in theory the damage could be reversible.  (Maybe
you won't get those never-formed-in-long-term memories back, but the
functions can be reenabled.)  Bad drug side effects can accelerate the
damage, make it permanent, and add new types of damage, among other
things.  Actually breaking synapses and destroying neurons, at a pace which
accelerates death, is a good example of what they fear might happen.