[ExI] music history hipsters please

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 30 02:24:54 UTC 2014

Before I go on a long internet search, first let me check if any of my
friends are music history experts.

The class of counterculture music genres have had various names.  Roughly in
reverse chronological order:  hip hop, rap, acid rock, back in the 50s Elvis
and rock and roll, jazz, ragtime in the 20s and 30s, before that there were
dance bands and such (don't know what it is called.)  Back in the 1860s to
1890s, what was the counterpart to these genres?  We can imagine a saloon
with a honky tonk piano and a guy playing dance music, but I don't know if
that sort of disreputable music had a name.  Anyone know?