[ExI] Human Aging

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 07:16:55 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe; if someone was using using the terms interchangeably. We'd have to
> decide whether or not the distinction is worth a side discussion.  If you
> are a lumber company, the point is very relevant.  (that's a good example,
> btw)
>
> I think many people can agree intellectually with transhumanist goals at
> the same time they are squicked by biohacking.  (ex: Of course I'd like a
> sixth sense about the presence/strength of EM fields, but not enough to
> insert magnets into my fingertips)

Indeed, but what means toward preventing or slowing human aging (aside from
uploading, or schemes that are essentially uploading) have been presented
that are not biohacking?  Thus, in this very narrow context, what is the
difference as reduces to practice between transhumanism and biohacking?

As to the talk - IIRC, it was at the Cubberly Community Center, some
evening in 200X.  I do not recall beyond that, although googling suggests
that it was http://www.svhi.com/newsletters/2009/slf-052009.pdf and
http://www.suretomeet.com/exec/gt/event.h,event=8b9b4d1bc178 .  Again, the
problem was that the presentations before Aubrey's dissolved into pitches
for not-well-tested and potentially counterproductive medication routines,
such that we left before Aubrey even took the podium.