[ExI] Human Aging

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 14:10:50 UTC 2014

On Feb 17, 2014 2:18 AM, "Adrian Tymes" <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, but what means toward preventing or slowing human aging (aside
from uploading, or schemes that are essentially uploading) have been
presented that are not biohacking?  Thus, in this very narrow context, what
is the difference as reduces to practice between transhumanism and
biohacking?

If consuming turmeric or ginger in higher than typical amounts is
biohacking, then I'll grant you use of the term is very inclusive.   I
would likely reserve that term for more aggressive or radical forms of
enhancement like cyborgization and tDCS.  I am not comfortable applying a
transhumanist philosophy to that level of acting on my belief.

However, I could see supporting a kickstarter project aimed at increasing
awareness of transhumanist goals as acting on belief/principle.  I also
vote with dollars by consuming entertainment in this vein such that it
incentivizes produces to create more.  In that sense actively promoting
transhumanist memes is action without biohacking.

I can certainly see you point now though about life extension implying
biohacking even (especially) if that includes careful choices in diet and
lifestyle towards the goal of a long and healthy existence.