[ExI] christine again again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 5 18:39:30 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:46 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] christine again again

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>.Does anyone here hang out on MENSA?

>.I do, but if she wasn't, then forwarding this to them would be
inappropriate.  "Someone who has no direct connection to this group or any
member of this group was shot."

>.I've found that one-link connections are usually fine (i.e., she's a
friend of yours, and you're in this group), but two or more are usually not
(i.e., she's a friend of yours and you are a friend of mine, and I'm in this
other group but you are not).  Exceptions exist for people well known to the
audience in question, but that does not apply here.

Ja, but all acts of charity and kindness are always exempt from the kinds of
protocols and standards to which we normally hold other activities, for it
is always appropriate and good.  I request an exception to the usual
protocol further justified by this notion: if anyone makes national
headlines as an innocent victim, they become in a sense a friend to all, for
we all can imagine some crazy coming into our own office and blasting away.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20131218/NEWS/312180091/Wounded-Reno-doctor-criti
cal-condition

Ja I know it isn't the usual thing to be asked to send get well wishes to
strangers, however this is a rare chance to show it is possible to have a
brain and a heart at the same time.  I promise I won't spam the list with
good deed opportunities.

As an aside, I have a motorcycle group who responded to the request without
reservations; in fact they are ahead of us.  But do not be shamed, for it is
not the first time in history this has happened.  The first time in recorded
history of being beaten by a motorcycle gang might be this, from the old
testament book of Judges, chapter 1 verse 19:

19 And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the
mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because
they had chariots of iron.

{8^D  OK so god couldn't take them, but he was omnipotent in a lot of other
ways.  Tough sons a bitches, those iron chariot guys.

Adrian, your concern is noted and I mostly agree.  We don't want to clutter
these email lists even with opportunities to do zero-cost good deeds, even
if for someone who would be one of us, if she had sufficient leisure time.
Citing the news story takes us out of the loop and connects the MENSA list
directly with the victim.   We need not reference she is an associate of
mine, or a friend of a friend of a friend, any of that.