[ExI] far future

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:25:18 UTC 2014

Can't keep to one topic sounds like me, interested in everything, Jack of
many trades.  I thought it would benefit my students to bring in biology,
sociology, physics, anything to relate material to something else.  What I
realized was that my best students could follow me but the average student
tended to be lost.  It is such an enormous advantage to come to class (as a
student) having understood some of the material already.  It's hard to
relate something to something else when you don't know the first something
at all.

I went to grad school as a Freudian, if anything, into a department that
was Skinnerian.  Big misfit.  But I have had the last laugh, as the
unconscious, genetics and other aspects of biology have come to the fore.
I love neuroscience.  In fact, in my book tastes and smells have been
studied so much (fMRI)   that their foods are guaranteed to light up the
pleasure centers.

I've read whole books on water, dust (much of ours from China - bad), and
you name it.  WishI could remember all of it.  Of course I have read
philosophy and in some ways consider myself one.  I think I favor Hume,
mostly, though I may also be an Epicurean.  Pick and choose, like
Protestants and their Bible.

Interdepartmental studies - now that would have been perfect for me.

A Don at Oxford, eh?  Called Spike. Cool!

Bill