[ExI] Future Bodies

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 18 15:32:46 UTC 2014

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

 >There are evolutionary reasons for society to generally disapprove of
 >suicide. We can argue that they are sick and need treatment, or we
 >should make life better for them. Though some suicides are to avoid
 >retribution for bad behaviour. And there are exceptions, like
 >sacrificing one's life to save others that society approve of.
 >
 >But none of this connects to length of life span.

No.  On the other hand, nobody has an indefinite life span yet.  So
anyone who wants to avoid living indefinitely doesn't need to do
anything about it.  When superlongevity is an option, then suicide will
be the only way to avoid it.  Declining any procedures that might be
necessary to prolong your life so that you age and die will count as
suicide, although I'd doubt that many people would actually do that.  If
someone did want to die, why make it drawn-out and unpleasant?

Ben Zaiboc