[ExI] Future Bodies

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 22:19:47 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> Oh, I agree with all that.  :)

LOL, Ok.

> I think I have said before that a population of 1,000+ year old people
> will be very different. Much more risk averse for example.

I don't think you could make it to 1000 without being somewhat risk averse.
There would be a natural tendency for risk takers to take one risk too many
sometime within the 1000 year period, and as we know it only takes once...
;-)

> And, yes,
> the suicide chambers might well become a normal feature of such a
> society. Just as 'lifetime' marriage will probably disappear, to be
> replaced by legal partnerships which can be terminated much more
> easily than current divorce courts.

That would be nice. I just don't know how the religious would respond. I
had a religious discussion this morning, so I'm still a little sensitive.

> There won't be many children
> around either.

If there are Catholics or Mormons around, there might still be a few.

> All the present reasons for suicide will still apply though. Unless
> you assume a utopia where nobody is ever unhappy. More advanced drug
> treatment could probably fix that. I think 'unofficial' suicide will
> probably still be disapproved of by society. After all, society loses
> a lot more when someone with centuries of experience and education
> leaves.

I don't assume utopia under any circumstances. I do anticipate a lot more
worldly wealth. I don't anticipate the end of money altogether, though
there are pockets where it has already ceased to be the currency of the
domain. I think drugging yourself to happiness is not likely to be
widespread, at least I don't anticipate doing that myself.

It would take a radical shift for people to accept suicide. But, if you
fork your life experience to do two things at once, then every time you
remerge those threads, one of the forks is gonna die... Just saying.

-Kelly