[ExI] Existential hysteria

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:30:20 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 1:54 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the case of AGW, a Type I error means it was concluded that global
> warming is caused by humans, but it actually isn't. The Type II error is
> where we fail to act on global warming, even though it is human caused.

If global warming is on average a bad thing (and it's not at all clear to
me that it is) then we may need to do something about it and it's
irrelevant if it was caused by humans or not. And if humans are capable of
accidentally causing global warming why is it inconceivable to think that
they may also be capable of deliberately causing global cooling to
counteract it? As I've mentioned before Nathan Myhrvold has a number of
interesting ideas for doing exactly that and at a very very low cost.

  John K Clark