[ExI] FW: Rube opinion re transhumanism

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jun 1 21:48:01 UTC 2014

From: Alan Brooks [mailto:alaneugenebrooks52 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2014 3:40 PM
To: spike66 at att.net
Subject: Rube opinion re transhumanism

[Spike, would you please post this at extropy chat?]

 <http://www.nationalreview.com/postmodern-conservative/378927/being-postmodern-and-conservative-peter-augustine-lawler> http://www.nationalreview.com/postmodern-conservative/378927/being-postmodern-and-conservative-peter-augustine-lawler

“One of our conservative criticisms of purely modern thought is its prejudice in favor of endless innovation, which can be seen, for example, in its overly technological view of science. Maybe the purest sources of modern thought these days is the hyper-libertarianism of some economists and Silicon Valley technologists, which points in the direct of transhumanism. The false hope is that through techno-innovation we can become better or freer than human, a hope that depends on ungratefully misunderstanding how stuck and how blessed we are to be beings born to know, love, and die. That’s not to say that we believe, as do those existentialists, that death is the final word about who each of us is”

'Blessed to die?' What exactly is being blessed to die?