[ExI] chemo-preservation and fund raising

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 08:10:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> The only cost you would save (and only part of that) is the long-term
> storage costs. For a neuro patient, this requires only $25,000 (the amount
> Alcor puts in the Patient Care Trust Fund for a neuro), which is a trivial
> amount when paid for by life insurance. Storing a chemically-preserved
> brain would be cheaper, but you would still need to pay something for
> security and  storage space.

### I agree that chemical preservation is not really that much cheaper than
cryonics but it does have one attractive feature: Storage does not depend
on the existence of a cryonics organization, which itself requires a
well-functioning economy. Well-fixed brains could be forgotten, buried, and
re-discovered by 34th century archeologists, and still give you a ticket
into the future. The hope of cryonics could be dashed by 2 months of
economic turmoil, just enough to evaporate the nitrogen. This is a big
difference in resilience to Black Swan events.

Ideally, if our stupid laws against assisted suicide could be changed,
fixation would be done electively on anesthetized patients, under ideal
conditions to assure prompt fixation, followed by monomer perfusion, water
replacement and polymerization (I know that these challenges have not yet
been adequately addressed). Well, one can dream.

Rafal