[ExI] robotic lunch counters

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jun 25 16:31:43 UTC 2014

The classic lunch counter, 1960s

http://i.imgur.com/LTkpwBG.jpg

Somewhere in America I can imagine some sharp business mind has either
attempted to preserve something like a lunch counter or reproduce it.  It
makes a lot more sense to me than a rectangular room with individual tables.
The staff can access everyone very conveniently.

Hey cool: the lunch counter theme will be a perfect way to introduce robotic
waiters.  The robots will be physically separated from the customers, which
solves a lot of problems in itself.  With a usual layout of a restaurant,
you know the yahoos would be putting their foot in the way trying to trip
the robot, then sue the place.  Lunch counter, no problem.  The whole notion
of retro mixed with future, sort of a Happy Days meets the Jetsons theme
would be really cool.  We could simplify some of the robot control problems:
we could have a circular track in which the waiter-bot doesn't actually walk
(that's an expensive control problem in itself) but rather it is supported
from below on a rigid shaft.  You could arrange for feet to appear to walk
(or even run) without having to actually balance in bipedal fashion.

Oh this just sounds like money struggling to be made.