[ExI] guitar playing robot

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Tue Mar 4 01:28:12 UTC 2014

> On Mar 3, 2014, at 5:57 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

'Plucking strings' vs 'samples of plucking strings' aside, there is the notion that humans are betters players than MIDI because they are more emotional. The thing is, a piece can be performed by a human and recorded live into MIDI. Then playing it back would sound identical to the human performance. The nuances, off beat notes, intensity/volume changes can be represented in MIDI (depending on the instrument). So if not put there when composing with MIDI, they can can be recorded during human playback into MIDI.

We are already there. Computers play compositions as well as humans and most don't even notice. And that's the point--one can't tell the difference. That is, unless the computers are outperforming the humans and doing what humans find impossible.
-Henry