[ExI] hard science

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 11:48:37 UTC 2014

On May 3, 2014 6:06 AM, "Tomaz Kristan" <protokol2020 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Very likely, but not entirely necessary. We could put some rules in
advance, what is permitted and what not.

> At the trivial case, where no change beyond the current human mind
architecture is allowed and even possible, we would have no new variety.

Would you legislate what types of minds are currently allowed?

I see this as another -ism like racism or sexism.  You may choose not to
associate with mind types you feel are incompatible with your own, but
unless you own the computation hardware then you have no right to make
rules regarding my liberties.  Now that ownership issue is interesting (to
me) because it is similar to the lawmaking privileges of government.  I
could theoretically move to another country but I practically cannot.

What freedoms are you willing to sacrifice for the sake of your
uploaded-selves' social contract?

Uploaded state sounds less Utopian the more people move in with rules for
how others should be.