[ExI] cool! locals create circuit board modeled on the human brain

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon May 5 18:21:00 UTC 2014

On May 5, 2014 5:49 AM, "William Flynn Wallace" <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ​ consciousness is yet another module, and one that was added fairly
recently in the evolutionary process.​

> ​How do we know this?  bill w​

Evolutionary record - fossils, etc.  There is no record of extensive tool
use, writing, or other things that we suspect are correlated with
consciousness much before humans.

True, we can not prove this 100%, but we can never prove anything 100%, so
we must go with our best guess that fits with the evidence.  In this case
as in others, "no consciousness before humans" is the best fit to what
historical record we have put together; while alternate cases are possible,
they seem sufficiently less likely that we can ignore them unless and until
they get their own, equally strong evidence.

("But what if we're wrong, and wasting our time/resources looking down this
alley?" is countered with "But what if we're right, and looking elsewhere
would be the very waste you seek to prevent?  From what we can tell, that
is probably the situation here.")