[ExI] How the world collapses

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun May 18 14:18:03 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 , spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> >> my car has 306 horsepower, one horsepower is equal to 746 watts so my
>> car needs 228,276 watts.  On a bright day at noon solar cells produce about
>> 10 watts per square foot, so my car would need 22,827 square feet of solar
>> cells, that's not counting the additional air resistance caused by the
>> 151x151 foot square mounted on the car's roof and the "WIDE LOAD" banner
>> I'd have to place on the back.. And I still couldn't get to work at night
>> or on cloudy days.
>>
>  > Ja, your car can produce 306 peak horsepower, but its average usage is
> less than a tenth of that typically,

So now I accelerate at a snail's pace and still have a 48 foot by 48 foot
square of solar cells mounted on top of my car, and I still need that "WIDE
LOAD" banner. And I still can't use my car at night or on cloudy days.

> and you can cut that in half if you allow half again more time to make
> the trip.  If trips take half again longer than they once did, we start
> thinking of ways to not go, or to combine trips, saving even more.

To me that sounds like a big step backward; I thought the idea was to gain
more control over time and space not less.

On Sun, May 18, 2014  Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Time is much more precious than oil.

That my friend is one excellent point! I wish I'd said that.

  John K Clark